Monday, May 2, 2016

Election Year (a poem)

I realize I am always measuring my life in some
nostalgic version of 
“this time last year." 

Saving chopstick wrappers 
and cards and pictures on my phone.
Trying to hold onto everything 
while I still can,
trying to salvage the unsalvagable.
Believing this moment is more 
than just simply a moment.
Thinking about all the 
cool and profound things I want to do
but never getting around to them.

They don’t make memories like this
anymore.

This will be a good month.
And this will be a good life.

May came with a blue-gray streak of 
storm threatening the tree-line,
announcing its arrival with the 
roll of thunder, darkening suburbia.

There’s something that’s always 
been bittersweet to me about this time of year.
Friends leaving, friends coming home,
Mother’s Day, flowers, 
something sleepy and fleeting.
Prom, parties, 
everything, futures, wide and bright.
May breeds a place, a time for roots, a dark dampened ground.
Looking out the window I thought about how the trees 
outside my Gov classroom have 
been there for the past
four years, too,
but unlike me, they’ll never leave.
A kind of grounded impermanence, 
a kind of stationary necessity.

We’ve been working so hard
for the day that 
we’ll get out of this place since
the day that we arrived
without noticing the trees 
or the coffee smell of the hallways.

A post-grad curse. 

Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself.
Maybe I’m wrong and 
you’re not all as sentimental as I am.

Soon the tassels will turn.
We’ll move on.
This won’t matter so much.

I know it’s supposed to be a happy ending,
but is any ending every really happy?

I’ll probably miss
this the suburban safe haven
where fights don’t break out on metros 
and there’s no symbolic city grime
or museums full of weirdos 
and the distance between me and home 
is only a couple of
tiny miles.

And I know I have to get out of this town,
but part of me--
the wimpy part--
wants everything to last forever.

But there’s the necessity to leave 
this little comfort zone.
To feel nothing during the metro fight 
and to walk through museums 
with people I hardly know.
Because I made it. We made it.

Of course,
like any ending, there are
friends I made too late,
people I wish I’d known longer,
things I wish had happened.
The destinations of yesterday 
lost and forgotten as
we beat on, 
seniors singing songs for tomorrow.

But we’re just so young,
there’s still so much time 
to celebrate birthdays 
and to make the world we want
out of ourselves.

At that, there’s still enough time
to tell all your friends 
that you love them
and there’s always going to be
enough time 
for one more song.

And so we hope for tomorrow
and lament the loss of 
those who won’t make it to then
and laugh our last laughs
and tell random people how in love we are 
and then forget about it the next day
and face the future with big, beating hearts
because we’re ready.

We stand here,
facing a world
of silver spoons and soap boxes,
and we're ready. 

“Stop waiting for the right time,”
I say to myself as the sky breaks open 
and the rain starts to come down in great chutes.
“It doesn’t exist.”

For now I’ll keep writing essays about everything bagels
and listening to storms passing quietly in the night.
I'll keep saving chopstick wrappers 
and feeling sentimental and I'll believe in 
my youthful invincibility,
because maybe my art won’t get me to Jupiter,
but my lust for life could get me 
pretty darn close. 


1 comment: